Should I stay or should I go? As well as being a famous The Clash track, it is also one of the toughest choices you can make when a job in a new city comes your way.
It’s easy to let doubt seep in and start questioning yourself when you’re in your comfort zone where you are still not knowing whether it’s time to go and see the world. In 2018, according to estimates from the UN, there are 1.3 million British expats living in Europe without counting those who have simply moved city with the British Isles.
It’s important to note that moving isn’t as easy as you might have imagined. That’s why we thought we would provide a few tips to help you survive the move:
1. Start looking for a job in your new city before you move. This way you will have plenty of job interviews for when you arrive. There are employment agencies that can help you even if you not yet in the country. Mobile applications also offer the possibility to quickly and easily look for jobs that suit you. And if you’re working in a multinational enterprise, make sure to check whether they have positions available abroad 😉.
2. Renew your passport: Don’t forget to ensure your passport is in order if needed. The last thing you need is finding yourself halfway across the world without a valid travel document which will inevitably cost you money, time and your patience.
3. Pack light. Pack what you need and leave the rest. That means leaving your art masterpieces and other oversized furniture and decorations at home or even better, sell them on a 2nd hand market place.
4. To make the travel even cheaper or free, invite family and friends along with you. They will not only provide company as you venture into the unknown but also share fuel, food and hotel costs. If you don’t want to feel like a burden, then you can always find a ride or travel buddies by simply downloading one of many apps dedicated to travel 🚗.
5. What about getting paid for that empty room you’re leaving behind? You could always rent it out and earn a pretty penny. Applications like badi will help you find the perfect match. Do you need to find someone for a few months, half a year or even longer? With badi, you will find someone you can trust to live in your house and take care about it such as good as you meanwhile you’re abroad.
6. When you arrive at your chosen city, make sure you open up and make new acquaintances that will turn into life-long friends. No matter where you are, whether it’s at work, on expat sites, in meetups, or even in a chance encounter. It’s never easy to find to move somewhere new, meet new people and pretend like you don’t miss your home at all! If you’re stuck looking for a new place to live then why not look in badi. It’s an ideal option as you will be able to share all the new experiences with your future flatmates exactly how you thought it would be!
And remember, big changes are worth the effort!