Renting out a room, being in a house share situation or having a flatmate can be a huge amount of fun. It’s a chance to start a new period in your life, get a little bit of help with bills and have a potential opportunity to meet new friends for life.

Here at badi, we’ve developed services including secured and verified profiles and chat features to ensure you find a housemate who is a perfect fit for you. This is to try and avoid those dreaded arguments about missing biscuits and spilt milk, but sadly it is just a fact of life that sometimes relationships between housemates can go a little sour.

With this in mind, here we take a look at a few issues which could well be signs that it’s time to get a new house share situation in an HMO property, as well as how to end a lodger agreement.

What are HMO properties?

First up, it is worthwhile explaining just what HMO properties are. A house in multiple occupation is a property that has at least three tenants living there and, in addition, is (or can be) a situation where you share toilet, bathroom and kitchen facilities with the other tenants.

In addition, large HMO properties often house five-or-more tenants and offer the same shared facilities.

What could go wrong with a house share?

As we’ve already mentioned, house shares tend to go very smoothly for the vast majority of people. Sadly though, there are never any guarantees, and things can and do go wrong in such an environment.

One clear sign that things are not working out could be that the lodger or tenant in question is simply not following the terms of the agreement related to their stay. This could range from something as straightforward as them not doing their agreed share of cleaning to an issue like not paying the rent on time.

Finally, you might simply fall out over something major, or minor, thus creating a communication breakdown and leading to a less than positive atmosphere in the house. Sometimes it’s just not healthy to stay in a conflicted environment, so this is around the time when some people either decide to make amends or up sticks.

How to end a lodger agreement

The rules on how to end a lodger agreement can be dependent on several factors. For instance, if they live in your home and you share facilities with them they may well be classed as an excluded occupier. In this case, only reasonable notice is required to end a letting. 

Alternatively, your lodger may be classed as an occupier with basic protection if they live in your home but don’t share living space with you. In this situation, you would need to give them notice and could even require a court order to evict them if they refuse. The government has recently updated its Tenant Fees Act, so it’s useful to have a read up on the changes before you decide on any course of action.

Find the right lodger for you

So many house shares can run without a hitch, but sadly issues can and do arise in some cases. However, we’ve created the badi website and app to ensure you can quickly receive answers to inquiries regarding a spare room and also find the lodger and flatmates that are right for you.

Hopefully, this should take a lot of the potential stress out of your efforts to fill that unused room in your property.

Find your perfect badi and fill your spare room today!